Who isn’t eager to improve her life, even in a small way, when she has the opportunity? Most of us love to find simple ways to make our lives richer, ways that are within the reach of all. After all, we want to enjoy our time here on earth to the fullest, don’t we?
One simple way to improve our lives is through connecting—both with people and with things. Every time we connect we’re taking a step outside of ourselves, and that’s a great step to take. Too much self-focus and/or living in a too-small world we’ve built for ourselves will drain us of joy and zap our energy levels.
So who or what can we connect with that will bring positive changes or vibes to our lives? Here are nine connections that can make a difference. Why not try them all?
1. Connect with God. No better connection in the world, right? When we connect with God through worship, prayer, or reading his Word, he infuses our lives with what we need on any given day—peace, joy, comfort, inspiration, perseverance. The list goes on.
2. Connect with loved ones and friends. Whether it’s a family member, a dearly loved friend, or a more casual friend, we receive an immediate boost from a conversation, a look, a smile, a hug, a note of encouragement, an interaction through social media, or another gesture from a fellow sojourner in life. It’s a good reminder to keep our interactions positive so we can provide that same loving boost to those we care about.
3. Connect with nature. Stepping out into the great outdoors and connecting with the creative wonders of our mighty God can soothe our spirits and energize us at the same time. After all, when we connect with nature, it’s just another way to connect with God, right?
4. Connect with strangers. Yes, we can even improve our lives when we connect with strangers. As we extend a smile and kind word to those we come in contact with, we’ll feel positive energy and be a blessing to them as well. We might even open the door to a new friendship!
5. Connect with the written word. As we read (or write!) books, articles, poetry, and other material, we enlarge our worlds and/or make it possible to see things in new and different ways. We gain information, inspiration, comfort, and encouragement. And of course, the most important written word—God’s Word—will make all the difference in our lives.
6. Connect with music. Whether listening, singing, playing, or composing, interacting with music moves us. Like nature, it can soothe or energize. Like the written word, it can inspire, comfort, and encourage. Our lives are simply better with music. Music gives joy.
7. Connect with art. Enjoying the beauty of stories told through drawings, paintings, sculptures, photographs, and other creative endeavors adds yet another layer of wonder and inspiration to our lives. Both observing and participating enrich us.
8. Connect with good food. Oh yes, good food—whether good-for-us food, new-to-us food, comfort food, or special-treat foods, food improves our lives. Of course, we need food to live, but it also adds joy, refreshment, and adventure to our days.
9. Connect with knowledge. I touched on this when mentioning the written word, but we can connect with knowledge in a variety of ways. Just think of all the ways we learn and gather information. Hopefully, when we connect with knowledge, we grow. And along the way, a special bonus comes when wisdom is acquired.
So friends, let’s take time to connect—today and every day!
“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” James 1:17
*Which of these connections do you enjoy the most? What else can you add to the list?
*The latest issue of Life Notes, my quarterly inspirational newsletter, came out earlier this month. Sign-up is free and to the right!